If you’re looking to make a change in your life, start with your mornings. Studies have shown that morning people are happier, more productive, and more proactive. So, there you have it! The early bird really does get the worm.
But what if you’re not a morning person? You can become one by creating a simple mindful morning routine for yourself. Wake up with intention and take on your day with these mindful morning routine tips.
The Night Before
A good morning begins with a good night. Be sure to get restful sleep the night before to have a more mindful morning. Here are some tips to improve your quality of sleep the night before:
- Avoid caffeine after 1 p.m. Caffeine is a stimulant, which can keep your brain in go-mode, even if your body desperately needs sleep. According to the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, consuming caffeine 3 – 6 hours before bed can have sleep-disturbing effects.
- Minimize screen time late at night. The blue light in screens on phones, tablets, and computer screens has been shown to slow or delay the production of melatonin in your brain, making it more difficult to fall asleep. Limit screen time right before bed to ensure that you get restful sleep.
- Make a list. The day/night before, write down a list of what you need to accomplish the next morning. Maybe you need to budget, pay a bill, go to the gym, or set up a doctor’s appointment. Writing it all down will allow your brain to relax and let go of it until the morning.
- Meal prep. Prepping your food the night before will allow you those extra restful minutes in bed the next morning. You also will be in less of a rush to get more things done in the morning since you can just grab your lunch and go!
- Window treatments. Keep your blinds open a little. The sunlight will help you wake up the next morning naturally, which will make you feel much more rested than if you were woken up. Avoid blackout curtains if you can, since it doesn’t allow any sunlight. You may wake up feeling groggy and like you didn’t get quality sleep, no matter how many hours you slept.
- Xen. Using Xen by Neuvana before bed can help promote a deeper state of relaxation and quiet your busy mind, ultimately improving your quality of sleep.
Tips to Establish a Mindful Morning
- Start slow. Allow your body systems to naturally wake up and get prepared for the day. Stretching is a great way to slowly move your muscles and get your circulatory system moving as well.
- Get a task done first thing. Accomplishing something first thing in the morning will make you feel more confident about starting the day off productively.
- Drink a glass of water. Waking up to a glass of water will help your body complete nutrient transportation and hydrate your cells.
- Feed your body. A healthy breakfast in the morning is so important for the rest of your day. Nutritious food will feed your brain, allowing you to be more focused as you start your day. It will also kickstart your metabolism and digestive system.
- Don’t hit the snooze button. We know, it’s hard to not hit the snooze button and fall back asleep for those 8 extra minutes. But studies have shown that those who set one alarm and don’t hit snooze have a more productive morning and have a lot less trouble waking up every day after that.
- Appreciate the silence. Silence can be extremely relaxing. Especially when you first wake up. Enjoying the silence can force your mind to engage in relaxation and make you feel more intentional and ready for the day.
- Shower. Showering in the morning will wake your body, improve circulation, and help with muscle and sore joint recovery.
- Listen to music. Music has been shown to activate all areas of your brain as you listen to it. Therefore, as you listen to music, you will be exercising your brain first thing in the morning.
How to Stick To Your Mindful Morning Routine
If you’re new to establishing a routine in your life, it can be difficult to consistently stick to it. The trick is to keep going. Once you do something every day, your body and mind will get used to it. Here are some tips to keep on going and stick to your mindful morning routine:
- Don’t let yourself slip up on self-care.
- Reward yourself.
- Log your progress.
- Focus on the improvements you have already made.
Other Neuvana related blogs: