It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Right? Then why do we tend to feel kind of crummy over the holidays? Between changes in our diets, eating habits, and weight, accompanied by an increase in short days and cold weather, it makes sense.
A survey by the American Psychological Association shows that while most people reported feelings of happiness, love, and high spirits over the holidays, those emotions were often followed by feelings of fatigue, stress, irritability, bloating, and sadness. Before you get into that holiday burned-out state, stop and take time for you. Read on to learn how making wellness your priority this holiday season can turn your life around and tips on how to do it!
Tips to Become Healthier & Happier Over the Holidays
Get Some Zzz’s
With all of the holiday traveling, shopping, and parties, it can be difficult to get enough sleep. It’s recommended to get 7-8 hours, so try to stick to your normal sleep routine to avoid becoming sleep deprived. Try these tips when you can’t sleep:
- Listen to a guided sleep meditation video.
- Have a cup of chamomile or lavender tea to help you relax.
- Keep your bedroom dark.
- Don’t eat right before bed.
- Avoid sugary foods and alcohol before bed.
- Don’t use your phone or other screens within a half-hour of going to sleep.
When constantly being tempted with cookies, eggnog, and other various desserts, it can be difficult to stick to your diet during the holidays. Over the holidays, people gain 7-10 pounds on average. Try these tips to keep eating healthy, even when you’re not at home:
- Keep healthy foods in the house.
- Avoid the unhealthy aisles at grocery stores.
- Meal prep when you can.
- Make an effort to eat out less and eat at home more.
- Bring a veggie tray to holiday get-togethers.
- Make a conscious decision to replace sweets this year with veggies or fruit.
Plan. Plan. Plan. Having an idea of the day’s activities will minimize the unknown, which may decrease your anxiety and stress levels. These tips will help you plan and manage your stress:
- Spend time with people that make you laugh.
- Give yourself enough time to be on time.
- Check the weather before you leave the house.
- Get gifts ahead of time.
- Communicate and ask for help.
- Don’t overschedule your holiday activities.
Be More Focused
There is a lot happening over the holidays. Shopping for last-minute gifts, trying to catch a plane, or throwing a holiday party can be difficult when your mind is not completely focused. Follow these recommendations to help refocus your mind:
- Make yourself a to-do list.
- Take one thing at a time.
- Eliminate distractions.
- Listen to music.
- Take a break when needed.
Studies show that in the cold winter months, 87.5% of people become low on Vitamin D, due to a lower exposure to sunshine. Vitamin D deficiencies have been linked to unhappiness. Here are some tips to stay in good spirits this holiday:
- Take a daily multivitamin.
- Make an effort to start going to a weekly exercise class.
- Tell someone how much they mean to you.
- Take a walk outside.
- Hug those closest to you.
- Think positively.
- Practice gratitude.
Invest in Yourself
Remember, the best gift you can give this season is to invest in your health. Do it for your family, your friends, your body, and your mind. Here are some tips to focus on you and improve your health over the holidays:
- Practice meditation.
- Let go of high self-expectations.
- Increase your water intake.
- Take an Epsom salt bath.
Find Your Xen
Xen by Neuvana was created by a top surgeon and accomplished inventor who is passionate about enhancing people’s lives through wellness technology. Xen works by delivering gentle electrical signals to your vagus nerve through specially designed earbuds, promoting a deeper state of relaxation. Research has shown that vagus nerve stimulation can have many wellness benefits, leading you to a healthier and happier holiday season. Xen may help you:
- Improve the quality of your sleep.
- Make stress more manageable.
- Feel less anxious.
- Promote positive thinking and brighten your mood.
- Help you stay more mindful and improve concentration.
- Reduce negative cravings.
Other Neuvana related blogs: